Paul Kaplan - Software Architect
- Extensive experience with commercial software development
- Architect, team leader, individual projects
- Easy to work with
Independent Consultant, 2001 through present.
- Developed Java code to convert publication data to links in a large database.
- Overhauled the user registration code and subscription process for a website.
- Developed a full-featured Java terminal emulator applet, using AWT for performance and browser compatibility. The emulator supports 3270, VT320, and other legacy terminals.
- Developed interface generators for a legacy integration tool. Interfaces supported
include Visual Studio .Net and XML/SOAP. Ported a proprietary, RMI-like object transport
library from Java to C#.
- Developed a TCP/IP forwarder.
- Developed a web application for legacy system connection management with custom JSPs, servlets
using MVC model II, and custom taglibs. Also developed a prototype of the same
application in Visual Studio .NET.
- Performed on-site customer training, customer support, developed functional
specifications and marketing material.
- Helped a small company prepare for due diligence interviews that led to their
Principal Architect, Zefer, Boston MA, an internet consulting company, 1999-2001.
- Designs and specifications for client internet systems.
- On-site client interviews and design meetings.
- Mentor for developers, release managers, and QA engineers.
- Due diligence for mergers/acquisitions.
- Client industries included dotcoms, financial services, healthcare, and construction.
- Technologies included J2EE and Microsoft.
Architect, NT Products, Infinium, Lexington MA, a business software vendor, 1997-1999.
- Designed and developed software for HR/NT and other business products.
- Due diligence for acquisition targets.
- Strategic product planning.
- Developed Business Component framework used by development teams in three geographical
- Hired and trained developers, organized source management and build systems.
- Developed internal website for development group.
- Environments: Microsoft NT, COM/DCOM, Microsoft Transaction Server, Visual C++,
Co-founder and Vice President of Research And Development, Pragmatica, San Mateo CA, a web tools startup,
- Product development for pop!site, our web site development system.
Co-designed and developed the pop!site compiler for an HTML superset.
- Product strategy, software design, development, documentation, and quality assurance.
- Software platforms Windows, Macintosh, and Linux.
Principal Software Engineer, Symantec, Cupertino CA, a software vendor, 1992-1996.
- Symantec XP. Project Lead for Symantec Cross Platform development tools. Cross platform
includes MFC for the Macintosh, and TCL for Windows.
- Incremental Linker. Project Lead for Symantec C++ 8.0 Power PC incremental linker.
Responsible for design lead, project scheduling, and integration with Symantec C++
programming environment for the Power PC.
- CVPK. Developed information compactor utility, similar to CVPACK, for debug
information in C++, for C++ tools. Utility compresses and indexes all debug information
and is NT compatible. Project time was 5 months; similar project reportedly took 3
person-years at Microsoft. Developed from old Microsoft specifications and reverse
engineering, using Symantec C++ for Windows and Microsoft C++.
Member of Technical Staff, Intersolv, Rockville MD, a CASE vendor, 1990-1992.
- FMP Compiler - Developed language interpreter/compiler for the FMP language.
Designed and developed Intermediate Representation, pcode interpreter, debugging environment,
run-time environment, and language grammar.
- APSLINK for OS/2 and Windows - Developed application transfer product for OS/2 Presentation Manager and later ported to Windows 3.1. Designed and developed GUI, and multiple communications DLL's. Product is used for transferring CASE applications between PCs and Mainframes, and uses multiple threads for communications to allow simultaneous transfers.
- INSTALIT - Ported vendor's application installation product to a dual mode OS/2 - DOS
executable. Also tested with Intersolv user platform, and fixed many vendor supplied bugs.
- 386 Virtual Memory Manager - Designed and developed page mode virtual memory manager, and
integrated with Microfocus XM DOS extender. Worked at vendor sites in UK and California.
Enhancements and bug fixes for CRTS (C run time system) and Microfocus XM, including network
compatibility and memory management.
- System problem solver. Helped developers find and fix bugs, design programs and data
structures. Taught advanced C programming, PM, Windows, and PC development environment
skills. Set up NOVELL Netware server, workstations, and printers for OS/2 and DOS. Ensured
smooth running of LAN and T1 WAN. Installed new releases of software, developed .BAT and .CMD
files for all aspects of software development and applications required for office.
Project Leader, Data General, Westboro MA, hardware and software manufacturer, 1986-90.
- 902 NewWave - Lead a team of 5 engineers developing an object-oriented Windows and HP
NewWave workstation front end for Data General's office automation platform (later sold as
Hyperdesk). Established team, developed TCP/IP connection between Windows and UNIX.
Installed UNIX and utilities on SUN workstations connected via ethernet.
- Hypertext products - Provided technical support for contract with software vendor Office
Workstations Limited (UK) to develop hypertext product. Researched and interviewed companies
with competing products.
- CEOwrite - Brought out 2 releases of the CEO word processor. Led several technical
projects including memory manager, serial port printing, software performance analyzer,
Independent Consultant, 1985-86.
- Federal Aviation Administration - developed functional and system requirement
specifications for the Airports and Facilities Database, based on interviews with the user
community and systems staff. Specified hardware and software for new on-site DBMS.
- Manufacturer's Technologies, a CAD/CAM vendor - developed a device driver for a sonic
digitizing graphics tablet. Software translated pen movements from the serial port into XY
- Applied Intelligence, an expert systems vendor - developed Selling to the Bottom Line, a
predictive sales analysis tool, and CBT, a computer-based sales training tool. Both products
were complete packages.
Project Leader, Multimate, East Hartford CT, a word processor company, 1983-86.
- Multimate - developed repagination and other features of the Multimate word processor with
3 other engineers. Reengineered existing 8086 code in C.
- Data Manager - developed PC based database product with a staff of 5 engineers and 2
support people. Installed product at large insurance company.
Senior Software Engineer, SEI, Lexington MA, a financial services software vendor, 1980-83.
- Fundtrac - developed major features for this portfolio management DBMS software.
- CodeControl - developed a complete source management system.
Graduate and undergraduate studies in Computer Science at Boston University, undergraduate studies at Northeastern University, various professional courses and seminars.